Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Perfect Gift From Spain


Once I reach Santiago, 
I often find myself shopping 
for friends and family.

As a minimalist, 
I am looking for a "needful thing,"
not something that will end up 
in next year's yard sale
or in the landfill.

For me, 
the perfect gift
is Spanish saffron!


Saffron is the stigma of the Crocus sativus,
a pretty little flower known as the saffron crocus.
It takes approximately 70,000 flowers
to make up one pound of saffron.
At $2,000 to $10,000 per pound,
it is one of the most expensive and most sought after spices
in the world.

Saffron is the spice used 
to make paella that beautiful golden color.
It's also used in other soups, stews,
and often in East Indian dishes.

I found Spanish Saffron in Santiago!
These little boxes carry 2 grams of the whole spice,
and are only €6.
This amount of excellent quality Saffron would cost you
many times more in the USA.

These larger boxes carry 50 packets (sobres)
of the ground spice
and they are under €20 per box.

Inside are two rows of packets,
each filled with 0.12 grams of ground spice,
enough for most dishes.

Where to buy saffron:

I'm sure you can find it in many shops in Santiago.
My favorite place is JUST as you come into 
the Plaza Cervantes in Santiago.
To your left ,
at Number 9,
you will find a tiny store
called Cepeda.



Ask him to show you his Azafran.
There are other nice gifts in the window.

I've gone through customs with 
as many as 10 boxes,
no problem.
So stock up!
It keeps forever in the freezer.

Happy Shopping!
Annie





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.