Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

To Wamba and Wamba Church

It was a chilly 8 k walk to Wamba this morning. The French people didn't want to leave until 9 am but I can't stay in bed that long, so I was up and out by 7 am.  The bar at Wamba doesn't open until 10. The bar has hot coffee but no food. The panaderia is right next door. I went inside, bought half a loaf of bread, at which point the lady handling the bread sneezed heftily all over it and handed it to me with a smile. I paid, then promptly deposited it in the nearest basura. I really don't want a cold!  Luckily I had some Maria's and an orange in my pack. I found a sunny place at the Church and shared breakfast with a stray cat.  Soon the French folks and the guide to the Church arrived. She gave a nice tour for €1,50.  Here are some photos.   
 
Wamba
 
Church
 
 
We called the night before and made an appointment for 10:30. 
 
 
This church is a combination of 10th, 11th, and 12th century architecture in different styles. 
I'm sure you can find great info online. 
 
 
12th century Fresco
 
This is supposed to be a Zapatero (shoemaker) vomiting or eating soles. 
 
I couldn't get a good photo but this pillar is from the 10th century and is in the shape of a palm tree. 
 
 
Stonemason mark. They marked their work and were paid accordingly. 
 
 
One entire room was an ossuary
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.