Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Friday, April 22, 2016

Antequera - Lunch and Dolmens

Lunch was Menu del Dia at a busy little place called La Alcazaba.  Price was €8,50 for two courses, dessert, bread, and tea.  First I had 'porra,' a local specialty. It is served iced cold like gazpacho but is thick like a pudding. It was topped with tuna, boiled egg, tomato, and ham and it was delicious!  
 
Second course was lomo in wine with potatoes. 
Also quite tasty. 
One thing I notice in Spain is that I do not have to season or add salt to my food. 
The Spanish seem to live salt as much as I!
 
 
Getting to the dolmens, for which this village is known, was simple. 
I walked straight down Calle Belen which was a also known as Carerra de Madre Carmen. 
It curved around to the right at the bottom of the hill and there were the dolmens on the left,
In a filed surrounded by an iron gate. 
 
 
They really were quite impressive and I believe they are the largest in Europe. 
 
 
The mounds are covered with flowers. 
 
 
The stones are just massive. 
 
The Menga Dolmen is famous for its significant geographical location - on the summer solstice, 21 June, the morning sun shines over the peak of the Peña de los Enamorados and straight along the dolmen's entrance corridor. This very exact positioning would have had mystical importance for the prehistoric tribes who built the dolmen thousands of years ago.
 
 
Inside you can see the black ceiling. 
Though these were supposedly originally burial mounds, 
I bet they made a fine shelter for some people in years past. 
The small dolmen
 Inside this one is a functioning well. 
 
 
 
 
On my way back I saw again the waymark for the Camino Mozarabe. 
 
More tomorrow
 
Annie
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.