Here I go...

One Adventure After Another!

Monday, May 13, 2013

VDLP 2013: Basilica Santa Eulalia in Merida

Leaving early, my first stop this morning was Basilica Santa Eulalia. This church was originally built in the 5th century. Abandoned, then used as a residence during the Moorish rule, it was then built up again once the Moors were conquered.

I arrived just as Mass was beginning so I sat in the back and really saw everything. There are some lovely statues there, and for some reason (Easter?) I saw at least 3 life-sized Sorrowful Mothers. Boy, they REALLY look sad, too!

I had time to take a few photos before the priest pushed us out the door. If you want to see this basilica, you must arrive 1/2 hour before the Mass.

Sorrowful Mother

Christ - these statues are LIFE SIZED!



The old church and crypts found under the floor.


Just around the corner if the building is the interpretive center - worth seeing and on the combined ticket. The crypts were interesting.

The next photo shows the gate on the side where you enter.
This is taken facing the front - so it's to the right of the building.





1 comment:

All comments are moderated.